Valentine’s Day Weight Management Tips
Roses are red, violets are blue, and sticking with the program is the best thing to do!
You may feel anxious today about how you are going to navigate around the tempting chocolates and candied hearts, in order to stick with your program. Fortunately, there are many non-food related ways to show affection on this international day of love. Keep these 14 weight management tips in mind for a Valentine’s Day that will not jeopardize weight loss:
- First, let your loved ones know there is no need to get you chocolate or other non-program food choices this year. Be upfront and assertive about this!
- In relation, show your love with non-food-related items. Give friends a movie pass, get your spouse flowers, make loved ones cards, or give a family member a small purchased token of love.
If you have children, start healthy Valentine’s Day habits early. Instead of giving them candy, choose another “treat” like stickers or a fun notepad.
Keep a pack of sugar-free mints or gum on hand for when the candy craving strikes. Instead of popping a candy in your mouth, toss in the gum or a sugar-free mint.
If you’re on a Herbal Magic Weight Loss Program, pre-plan your Free Exchange allotment. If not, decide on your favourite Valentine’s Day treat that is between 75-150 calories, and stick with having one.
If you cannot help but associate Valentine’s Day with chocolate, enjoy one piece of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa, 75-150 calories). For those on our program, that piece of chocolate counts as 1 Free Exchange. You can also try Chocolate VHP Shakes if you already have some on hand!
- Get active on Valentine’s Day by finding a fun winter-inspired activity to try. We suggest going on a romantic winter walk, heading to an outdoor skating rink, or even going sledding.
- If you plan to go to a restaurant, be wary of the pre-set Valentine’s Day menu. Your best bet is to order à la carte if you’re trying to stick to your weight management goal. That way you can choose one dish without feeling like you have to eat each course that is presented to you.
Going out for a romantic dinner is nice, but cooking at home can be equally, if not more intimate. Being able to control what you cook will help your weight loss stay on track, all while impressing your partner with your skills in the kitchen. Here are a few tips for planning a romantic at home dinner.
- With that in mind, get creative by making your own healthy Valentine’s Day dessert. Try melting one piece of dark chocolate and pouring it on top of ½ cup of strawberries (or any other fruit you enjoy). This simple, yet decadent, dessert can be counted as ½ Fruit and 1 Free Exchange, if you’re on one of our programs.
- If your workplace is filled with jars of candy, keep them out of sight. If the chocolates are out of sight, they will likely be out of mind. Even if you have to walk around the office through a different way to resist the temptation, do it.
- Keep your portions in control and make sure you’re conscious of everything you’re eating. If you’re on our program, be sure to record everything in your Food Journal, even if it is an extra Valentine’s Day chocolate on top of your daily food allotments. If you slip up, it’s okay. Just get back on track at your very next meal.
- Stick with Valentine’s Day colours and fill up on all the delicious healthy red foods. A few healthy options include strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, red peppers, cherries, red apples, or pomegranates.
- Finally, the best tip of all, don’t forget to love yourself! Do not just tell everyone else you love them; let yourself know that you love YOU too. Here are 30 self-love quotes to get you in the mood!
Try to apply as many of these weight management tips as possible today; however, even if you only do one or two, remember consistency is the best weight loss practice. If this Valentine’s Day isn’t totally on track, bounce back tomorrow and the day after that. You got this!
For more weight loss tips, check out these articles:
- Smart Cheating on Your Diet
- 10 Effective Weight Loss Tips
- Weight Loss Success Tied to Family & Friends