This hearty and comforting Vegan Veggie Soup & Garlic Bread Recipe is made from potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, and garlic in a savory broth to feed the soul on cool evenings — enjoy!
2 cups water
1 cup vegetable broth (low-sodium)
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 leek (green part only)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tbsp margarine (soft, light, non-hydrogenated)
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
2 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup turnip, peeled and sliced
16 oz. tofu (soft or regular), cubed
½ cup corn (niblets)
2½ tbsp cilantro
2½ tbsp parsley
Ground pepper to taste
4 slices bread (diet/reduced calorie)
6 tsp margarine (soft, light, non-hydrogenated)
Garlic powder to taste
1. Bring water and broth to a boil in a large pot.
2. Once boiling add the celery and onions to the pot.
3. Sauté leeks and garlic cloves in margarine for a few minutes in a pan, and then add them to the broth.
4. After a couple of minutes, add the remaining vegetables, except corn.
5. Let them all boil together for approximately 10 minutes.
6. Then add tofu to the broth, along with the corn, cilantro, parsley, and ground pepper.
7. Once all ingredients are in the pot, reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
8. While the soup simmers, bake bread topped with margarine and a dash of garlic powder for 10-15 minutes at 350°F.
9. Once the soup and the bread are ready, serve and enjoy!
Choose vegetable broth with the lowest amount of sodium per serving. “A little” sodium is a percent daily value of 5% (120 mg) or less per serving. “A lot” of sodium is a percent daily value of 15% (360 mg) or more per serving.
We also recommend using mono and polyunsaturated oil-based margarine, like those with olive and canola oil, to improve overall cholesterol. While also using whole wheat bread for a fibre boost to help you stay full longer.