The Benefits of Pumpkin
No matter where you look these days pumpkin-spice flavored everything surrounds us. Pumpkin season has arrived but many of the pumpkin spice flavoured items, like pumpkin spiced lattes and muffins, tend to be full of sugar and fat. However, you shouldn’t overlook pumpkin completely as this seasonal fall staple offers many health and weight loss benefits when consumed in its natural form.
Some may find that preparing pumpkin can be a little more time consuming. If you find this to be the case, choose your next best option, canned pumpkin. Be sure the canned pumpkin you choose only contains one ingredient: pumpkin. Steer clear of canned pumpkin pie mix which is full of additives, like sugars and syrups. Both these ingredients do not contribute positively to weight loss.
Here are just some of the benefits to enjoying pumpkin this fall:
- Pumpkin can help with your weight loss as it will aid in keeping you feeling fuller longer. It is chalk full of fibre, which slows digestion.
- Pumpkin is low in calories, which can help during your weight loss journey.
- Pumpkin can help boost your vision as it contains double the amount of vitamin A.
- Pumpkin is full of vitamin C, fibre and potassium all of which work in supporting heart health.
- Pumpkin boosts the immune system since it is high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.
- Pumpkin seeds are a natural source of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. Try roasting them at home.
This is just a few of several health benefits pumpkins have, so next time you think of reaching for pumpkin pie, try roasting pumpkin chunks and serve alongside a protein, or top your next salad with pumpkin seeds instead. If you feel adventurous, try adding pumpkin puree to a morning smoothie.